As the weather cools down, vehicle users take precautions for certain adverse situations. Vehicles that become much more susceptible to the harsh weather conditions of the winter need general maintenance during this season. The tires change, the vehicle's front layout settings are reviewed, the insurance has been questioned by the day insurance insurance is renewed and all risks are reviewed in order to avoid harsh weather conditions. One of the most important interventions in winter is the addition of antifreeze to the radiator water. Preventing the engine from freezing and overheating; therefore, antifreeze is a colorless type of alcohol which is used in small amounts in summer. Antifreeze, which helps to cool the engine, extends its life, reduces the freezing point of the engine's cooling water and increases the efficiency of the circulation pump, which ensures the movement of water in the vehicle.
Functional Properties of Antifreeze
Although it is used in summer, antifreezes, which are among the most complementary vehicle maintenance needed in winter, are added to the radiators of the engines to eliminate the problems such as corrosion, rust and abrasion. Highlights of this colorless alcohol, which is almost life-saving for vehicle engines, are:
- By adding antifreeze to the cooling water, the freezing point of the water drops; The boiling point also rises. In this way, the cooling water of the engine freezes in winter; In summer, it prevents boiling of the radiator water.
- The antifreeze does not damage the rubber hoses or metals in the cooling system.
- When the antifreeze is added to the cooling water at a rate of 33 percent, the freezing point of the mixture decreases to -18 degrees, and when mixed at 50 percent, the risk of engine water freezing up to -37 degrees is eliminated. You can add antifreeze to the radiator according to the climate conditions.
- Although antifreeze is normally transparent, the colorant is added so that it can be distinguished from the color of the water. This also makes it possible to distinguish the type of antifreeze by color.
How to Add Antifreeze?
Adding antifreeze to the water in your vehicle's radiator is not really complicated. If you have any idea where the major parts of the vehicle are located, you can easily add antifreeze by following the instructions below:
- To create a safe environment, you must first make sure that your vehicle's engine has cooled down.
- After opening the hood of your vehicle, you should find the radiator whose shape looks like a grille; the radiator and the spare water cap.
- You should also open the drain cover under the radiator and drain all the water. Be sure to close the cover tightly again after unloading.
- You can then start pouring the antifreeze from the radiator.
- You should add pure water to form a mixture on the antifreeze you poured.
- When the radiator section is fully filled, you should prepare to start the engine of your vehicle. You should return to the bonnet when the engine is running and continue to add water to compensate for the loss of water in the radiator due to the engine running.
- You should stop adding when water reaches normal level.
- By closing the radiator cap again, you are at the end of the antifreeze addition process.
To do this, you only need to locate the drain cover and radiator covers in your vehicle. However, one of the main concerns before most drivers is that they should choose different antifreeze options. To find a healthy answer to this question, you should look at the types of antifreeze listed below. However, please note that the choice of antifreeze is not by color; according to the type.
Commercially Available Antifreezes
There are 4 types of antifreeze available on the market: organic, inorganic, hybrid organic and nitrite organic antifreeze.
-Organic Antifreeze; pink, dark green, orange can be found in different colors. Aluminum protective silicate and iron protective phosphate, which may lose their function if not used for a long time, are not found in organic antifreeze. It has an average life of 200 thousand kilometers and 5 years. This antifreeze penetrates the engine late; however, it is very successful in providing long-term protection. Corrosion caused by water cannot be completely prevented by organic antifreezes.
– Inorganic Antifreeze; usually found in light bright green. Unlike organic antifreezes, it contains phosphate and silicate substances which are very useful for cooling the engine. When the aluminum and iron contents of the engine cooling system and engine block parts are examined, the anticorrosive properties of inorganic antifreezes come into prominence in vehicles with these parts. The life of these antifreeze is between 2 years and 40-50 thousand kilometers.
– Hybrid Organic Antifreeze; orange and yellow, especially pink and red. This type of antifreeze consists of a mixture of organic and inorganic antifreeze. Other organic components instead of corrosion inhibitor phosphate; instead of silicate, the hybrid organic antifreeze, which contains inorganic components, is produced with reference to the hardness ratio of tap water in Europe.
-Nitrite Organic Antifreeze; usually appear in dark pink and red color. The type of antifreeze commonly used in large commercial vehicles such as trucks, buses, construction machines, as the name suggests, is formed by the addition of nitrite and molybdenum components to organic antifreeze. Thanks to these components, the life of the antifreeze extends to exactly 1 million kilometers. Nitrite organic antifreezes are more expensive than other types of antifreeze.
Select Your Antifreeze By Type, Not By Color
Which of the four different types of antifreeze with different properties you can choose for your vehicle in fact depends on your driving habits and the hardness rate of the water in your area.
- If the water of your place is determined to be harsh as a result of the measurements and if you use your vehicle frequently, you may prefer inorganic antifreezes containing phosphate and silicate components.
- If you do not use your vehicle too often, mostly in the parking lot, and the hard water in the region where you live in hard antifreeze types, hybrid and organic ones you can choose.
- The type of antifreeze you used before should be a feature to consider in your new selection. The antifreeze you have just purchased should not be confused with the old antifreeze to avoid losing the motor protective property contained in its components.
- Substances that are the raw material of your vehicle's engine directly affect your choice of antifreeze. If aluminum is used in its production, hybrid antifreeze with silicate content should be used as aluminum preservative in the antifreeze.
- If you are concerned that the type of antifreeze should be healthier, for example, if you are working in a sector that requires intensive contact with food, you may prefer blue antifreeze.
Remember your wipers while protecting your engine
Antifreezes are used in winter for wipers as well as providing cooling of engine and preventing corrosion. The use of antifreeze glass water can prevent your water channels and pipes from freezing; you can easily dissolve the ice and sticky wipers on your windows in the morning. To prevent scratches during cleaning, you can spray pure antifreeze onto your wipers with a spray bottle and clean the ice with gentle movements.
If you wish to use antifreeze as glass water, you must pour this alcohol into the wiper water reservoir. You can mix the antifreeze glass water concentration with the appropriate amount of water or use it purely according to the weather conditions you are in or your vehicle will be exposed to. The use of large amounts of pure antifreeze in the wiper chamber can protect your vehicle up to -30 degrees. When pouring the antifreeze into the relevant reservoir, you must take care not to leak it out or damage the bottom parts of the engine. The antifreeze glass water you put in the wiper reservoir can also be used to wash your car's headlights and to freeze the frost on your headlights.
You can decide on the selection of an antifreeze by evaluating all this information and analyzing the data at hand; however, it is a good idea to contact the experts for winter maintenance of your vehicle with much more detailed information and evaluations that you are sure of its accuracy. For any difficulties you may encounter in unexpected times with your car, the leading insurance companies are ready to help you. One-click to find out the insurance alternatives that best suit you by identifying your insurance needs Insurance web page.
Source information: https://www.ikinciyeni.com/blog/oto-hayat-detay/colors-and-features-gore-antifiriz-secimi